Grandson saves grandmother from house fire
OKLAHOMA CITY - William Alexander always takes care of his grandma, Laura. That has never been more evident than Friday morning, when a space heater sparked a fire at their home.
“I walked out of there and plugged it in and turned it on and a couple minutes later and the smoke detector, smoke alarm go off.” Alexander said.
He jumped into action, carrying his grandma out of the flames. He didn’t even stop to put on a shirt or shoes. The two stood by watching fire fighters in their bare feet and slippers.
They were using a space heater to keep warm because their heating system was broken. Laura Bradford said an electrician was supposed to come out and fix it.
“And they haven’t got nobody out here and now it’s too late. The house caught fire. I lost everything in the house.” Bradford said.
That is a story crews hear more and more in the cold weather.
“When it starts having cold snaps, we start having a few more fires.” Acting Chief Larry Walker said.
Heating and air experts warn about the use of space heaters, and also your home system.
‘The older systems that are gas furnaces people don’t tend to have checked out on a yearly basis and a lot of that you could have not only house fires, but carbon monoxide.”
It is a hard lesson for this family. However, they are still counting their blessings.
“It could have been a lot worse.” Alexander said.