Neighbors called heroes after rescuing woman from burning home
LITTLE AXE, Okla. — A Little Axe woman is pulled from her burning home Sunday afternoon with seconds to spare.
On Monday, the woman’s family got the chance to personally thank the men who rescued her.
69-year-old Janet Andrews was in critical condition Monday at a metro hospital with severe burns to over a third of her body.
Her neighbor, Lee Standridge, said something compelled him to go outside, Sunday around 3:30 p.m.
When he did, he smelled smoke coming from Andrews’ trailer.
He then heard her screaming for help.
The front door was too hot to touch, so Standridge kicked it open and found flames creeping toward Andrews on the floor.
Her badly burned body was difficult to move, so fellow neighbor Melvin Whitaker helped drag her to safety.
They even helped douse the flames with her garden hose.
NewsChannel 4 was there when the Andrews’ family showed up and met these heroes for the first time.
“I hope people can pray for my sister and pray to keep a watchful eye on these two angels that God sent my way,” Andrews’ sister, Debbie Little, said. “Thank you so much.”
“I don’t consider myself a hero,” Standridge said. “When a house is on fire and you hear someone say help, that’s what you do, is you help.”
The family said Andrews told them she was sitting on a living room chair, smoking a cigarette, and fell asleep.
They say Andrews is expected to survive.
- 'I blame both sides,' Oklahoma militia members join fight against feds
- Land Run reenactment takes a dangerous turn at Mustang elementary school
- A mother's love: Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter in Pit Bull attack
- Biological mother wants adopted son back from powerful family