NORMAN, Okla. – While you may be hustling and bustling next Friday, police officials want shoppers to be alert during the busiest shopping day of the year.
The Norman Police Department has come up with a few tips to help keep yourself safe during the start of the holiday shopping season.
- Try to shop during daylight hours. If you shop after dark, bring along a friend or relative.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- Use extra care if you carry a purse or wallet. They are prime targets for criminals in crowded shopping areas.
- Remain aware of your surroundings and understand that criminals may try to distract you before taking your valuables.
- Lock your car doors and avoid leaving purchases in plain view. If you must leave items in your car, lock them in the trunk. Remember, it only takes a few seconds for a thief to break into an automobile and steal your property.
Authorities say the department will have extra bike, foot and Skywatch patrols throughout the holidays.
If you see suspicious activity, call (405) 321-1444.