NEW: Tulsa student recognized at Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade on NBC
Megan Harju, junior drum major at Union High School. Courtesy: NBC
NEW YORK – A high school student in Tulsa represented Oklahoma during one of the largest televised holiday events in the country Thursday.
Megan Harju, a junior at Union High School, has been named the winner of the Bob Hope Essay Contest.
As a winner, she was recognized during this year’s Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
She was singled out on national television, following the performance of the Union Renegade Regiment.
She is also the drum major for the band.
Harju will receive a $5,000 scholarship and Union Bands will also receive $5,000.
Each band participating in the parade was allowed to submit one essay for the contest.
Organizers from Union High said they received 12 essays but selected Harju’s to submit.
You can watch the Thanksgiving Day Parade Thursday from 9 a.m. to noon on NewsChannel 4.
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'
- Oklahoma sisters lose both parents in 48 hours; FFA community rallies behind them
- Feline Fury: Family calls 911, says 'fat, angry' cat has them trapped in bedroom
- 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin's final words revealed
- FIRES: Wildfires are sparking across the metro, crews stressing caution during high fire danger