NEW: Police release report on officer-involved shooting, names of officers
UPDATE: Authorities have released the names of the two officers involved in the shooting on I-35 last month.
1. Detective Sgt. Tony Foreman, a 23-year veteran of the force
2. Officer Samuel Pagel only has two years of service
OKLAHOMA CITY – Oklahoma City Police say they had no choice but to shoot and kill 30-year old Simon P. Ramirez as he ran down the I-35 waving a gun.
It started when officers were scanning the area for stolen vehicles when they spotted a car that was reported missing.
Police tried to stop the driver but they sped away.
The occupants, Ramirez and a woman, took off on foot.
After a short chase the woman gave up and was arrested.
But police say Ramirez started running down I-35 pointing a gun at other drivers.
Investigators say they had no choice but to stop him in his tracks.
Southbound lanes on I-35 south were shut down for hours a crime scene detectives collected evidence.
“Well you don’t wait for them to shoot you so we have to take action before they do,” Capt. Dexter Nelson with Oklahoma City Police. “That is whether you’re an officer or not, you don’t have to wait for someone to shoot at you if they are pointing a gun at you.”
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'
- Oklahoma sisters lose both parents in 48 hours; FFA community rallies behind them
- Feline Fury: Family calls 911, says 'fat, angry' cat has them trapped in bedroom
- 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin's final words revealed
- FIRES: Wildfires are sparking across the metro, crews stressing caution during high fire danger