NORMAN, Okla. – As packages start ending up on doorsteps, local police departments are warning residents about thieves this time of year.
Postal service workers are already busy with the hustling and bustling of the holiday season.
As they make their way through their deliveries, thieves may try to steal packages from front porches before the rightful owner comes home from work.
Authorities with the Norman Police Department issued the following tips to help homeowners avoid package theft:
- Request a signature confirmation of delivery. By doing this, the deliverer will have to wait until you’re available or deliver the package to an at-home neighbor.
- Insure valuable items.
- Encourage your neighbors to watch for deliveries and agree to secure each other’s packages. This includes being watchful for any stranger who is going onto porches for no apparent reason or following delivery trucks.
- If you have an understanding boss, have your packages delivered to you at work.
- Track packages online to see exactly when they’re sent to your house for delivery. Many companies offer a text notification to your cell phone when a package has been delivered.
- Provide special instructions for where to deliver the packages. A good place is on the side or back of the house so that the package is out of sight from the road.