Banana emergency declared in Costa Rica; one of the world’s leading banana exporters
COSTA RICA – A banana emergency has been declared in Costa Rica.
Authorities in Costa Rica say an outbreak of mealybugs and scale insects have infected thousands of acres of the country’s banana plantations.
Experts blame climate change-rising temperatures and changing rain patterns for the skyrocketing bug population.
to try to combat the problem, officials have allowed banana producers to wrap their fruit in bags laced with pesticide.
Costa Rica is one of the world’s largest leading banana exporters.
- Authorties unveil massive Oklahoma crime ring
- VIDEO: Why this video is making people believe in ghosts
- Hilarious! Don't you wish this was your flight attendant? We do!
- UPDATE: Boyfriend and neighbors shaken up about woman accused of killing 6 newborns
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'