Oklahoma Conservative Puts Home State On Wasteful Spending List
TULSA, Okla. – U.S. Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK) has released his annual “Wastebook” highlighting what he calls the “most egregious spending” of 2013.
In the periodical, he outlines what he thinks is wasteful spending including topics like:
- “Paid To Do Nothing,” which cost taxpayers about $400 million this year
- “Pimping the Tax Code” $17.5 million,”
- “It’s a Bird. It’s a Plane. It’s Superman! (National Guard)” $10 million
- “Let Me Google That for You: National Technical Information Service – (Department of Commerce)” $50 million
Coburn covers other themes in his 2013 Wastebook:
1. Paid to Do Nothing – (Government wide) At least $400 million
2. It’s a Bird. It’s a Plane. It’s Superman! – (National Guard) $10 million
3. Uncle Sam Looking for Romance on the Web – (NEH) $914,000
4. Obama Administration Studies American’s Attitudes Towards Filibuster as Senate
Majority Leader Eliminates the Longstanding Senate Right to Debate – (MO) $251,525
5. Beachfront Boondoggle: Taxpayer’s on the Hook for Paradise Island Homes – (HI) $500 million
6. Pimping the Tax Code – (NV) $17.5 million
7. Mass Destruction of Weapons – (DoD) $7 billion
8. Let Me Google That for You: National Technical Information Service – (Department of Commerce) $50 million
9. Millions Spent Building, Promoting an Insurance Plan Few Want and a Website that Doesn’t Work – (Department of Health and Human Services) At least $379 million
10. Cost of Unused Mega-Blimp Goes Up, Up and Away – (Army) $297 Million
21. USDA Specialty Crop Block Grant Program traveled around the world this year spreading joy, with more than ten grants paying for international junkets including sending the Oklahoma Pecan Growers Association to international trade shows.
41. Pairing Prime Cuts with Wine – (Oklahoma) $200,000
65. Cash Cows – (USDA) $19.5 million. Scientists from Oklahoma State University, the University of Oklahoma, the USDA, and Tarleton State University will join forces with Kansas State in combating climate-induced bovine weight loss.
- 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin's final words revealed
- 'Super' exercise helps mother lose 110 pounds, secret in 'core'
- UPDATE: Crews find body investigating carbon monoxide leak at home in northwest Oklahoma City
- GRAPHIC: Oklahoma man said he found his stolen mule tied to tree, starved to death