An apple a day can keep the doctors away
The old saying has been proven true, an apple a day can keep the doctors away.
Researchers in the UK used mathematical models to estimate the effect that eating an apple a day would have on the health of adults over fifty.
Compared to that to the impact of taking a cholesterol lowering drug called a Statin.
They found over eight thousand deaths from stroke and heart attack could be avoided each year if 70% of older adults ate an apple a day, and kept their calorie intake consistent.
Just over nine thousand deaths would be prevented by prescribing all adults a Statin, but cases of diabetes and muscle disease would rise because of the side effects linked to the drugs.
- Authorties unveil massive Oklahoma crime ring
- Hilarious! Don't you wish this was your flight attendant? We do!
- UPDATE: Boyfriend and neighbors shaken up about woman accused of killing 6 newborns
- PHOTOS: Missed the Blood Moon? Watch this time lapse
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'