Oklahoma ranks 20th in nation for volunteering; what to ask before signing up
According to the latest numbers from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, a little more than a quarter of Americans volunteer at least once a year.
Oklahoma ranks 20th in the nation for volunteering.
While Christmas is the perfect time of year to lend a helping hand, there are some things you need to know before you sign up.
Do your homework: Find out the mission of the organization.
Determine how the program is funded.
Also, find out how they match volunteers to specific projects; do they base it on skills, or interests?
Another very important question to ask is how much time you will need to commit.
Volunteers should also think about the risks; does the organization provide any training?
Are you required to provide your own tools or supplies?
Be wary of any group that requires a fee to volunteer.
Also ask if there are any security or health concerns related to your work.
Most importantly, if you get hurt, are you covered by the organization’s insurance?
- VIDEO: Why this video is making people believe in ghosts
- Authorties unveil massive Oklahoma crime ring
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'
- Hilarious! Don't you wish this was your flight attendant? We do!
- UPDATE: Boyfriend and neighbors shaken up about woman accused of killing 6 newborns