LONDON – New reports show that Kate Middleton’s phone was at the center of a hacking case involving a popular tabloid newspaper in the United Kingdom.
Several people associated with ‘News of the World,’ a tabloid newspaper, are on trial for charges associated with a phone hacking scandal involving sports stars, authors, victims of violent crimes and the royal family.
On Thursday, prosecutors read messages to the jury from Prince William to Kate Middleton in 2006.
In one such message, William told her that he had almost been shot at officer training at Sandhurst.
In the voice mail, he said, “I got terribly lost and I walked into some other regiment’s ambush.”
The tabloid paper also allegedly listened to voice mails where the royal prince left Kate messages saying, “Hello baby, it’s me.”
Officials claim the paper hacked into Middleton’s phone and listened to some of the couple’s most private moments, including messages from the prince that referred to her as “babykins.”
Messages from William to Harry were read to the jury, indicating that Prince Harry’s phone had also been hacked.
The royal editor of ‘News of the World,’ as well as the actual hacker, served time in 2007 for hacking the phones of royal aids.
However, this is the first time that there has been any indication that royal family members had been hacked.
The prosecution claims that phone hacking was standard operating procedure at ‘News of the World’ and that many editors even financially supported it.