Cheerios drops modified ingredients
General Mills said that it has changed the sourcing of ingredients for its original Cheerios cereal, after an activist group said that the company bowed to pressure and stopped using genetically modified ingredients.
“We switched from what we were using to non-GMO corn and non-GMO pure sugar cane,” said General Mills spokesman Mike Siemienas.
He said the company did not change the formula and has never used genetically modified oats. The company said that it has always used whole grain oats.
But he said the company did switch from using beet sugar, which is sometimes genetically modified, and also switched from certain sources of corn to ensure that their corn sources were not genetically modified.
He said this change occurred over the last year and required a significant investment.
- VIDEO: Why this video is making people believe in ghosts
- Authorties unveil massive Oklahoma crime ring
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'
- Hilarious! Don't you wish this was your flight attendant? We do!
- UPDATE: Boyfriend and neighbors shaken up about woman accused of killing 6 newborns