UPDATED: Yukon man dies in officer-involved accident
YUKON, Okla – An accident involving a Yukon police officer has left one man dead over the weekend.
The death happened early Saturday morning, just a few blocks away from the Yukon Police Department. A spokesman for the police says one of their own officer left the station a little before 5:00am and hit and killed a man.
“He’s pretty shook up, understandably.” Captain Michael Merry said. “I’m sure it will be a long day, long couple days for him.”
Police say the victim was not using the cross walk and was walking in the middle of the road.
Authorities don’t know yet if alcohol or drugs played a part, but say the accident is under thorough investigation.
“Our officer submitted to a blood and urine analysis test, both.” Merry said. “We have a real stringent policy for what happens, what takes place after any accident.”
Police say the officer was not responding to a call when the accident happened and has taken a few days off to recover.
“Our thoughts are with him and with the family of the deceased.” Merry said.
Police are not releasing the victim’s name at this time.
- One arrested while federal agents surround a N.W. OKC home
- Alleged murder for hire plot leads to two more hazmat scares in metro
- Businessman buys out part of Oklahoma City Thunder
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'
- 'I just lost it;' Officials said man killed wife of 56 years because she was 'nagging' him