GUTHRIE, Okla. – Late Thursday night, residents in Guthrie had quite a scare.
Residents living as far as a half mile from S. Division Rd. and Moose Cir. say they heard and felt explosions coming from the Livestock Nutrition Center.
Guthrie fire crews arrived on scene after 11:30 p.m. but say the fire had nearly run its course.
Chief Harlow, with the Guthrie Fire Department, says the blaze began when a tractor parked in the main storage building malfunctioned.
The fire then caused a small grain dust explosion, which blew the doors off of the facility.
Harlow stresses that grain dust is very volatile but the explosion may have actually helped to contain the blaze.
When the doors were blown off the building, air was able to rush in and keep the area well-ventilated.
Firefighters say they weren’t concerned about the possibility of another explosion.
Fortunately, there were no reports of injuries in this fire.
The tractor and the large metal doors suffered the most damage.
Chief Harlow says Livestock Nutrition Center was lucky to not have received any other damage.