Fire threatens Moore family’s home
MOORE, Okla. – A Moore couple comes home to a fire surrounding their home and were shocked to learn the cause.
“I had to park about four houses up, the fire trucks were parked lined on the street,” said Josh Miller.
He continues, “It’s pretty scary because how close it came to the gas line.”
The fire narrowly missed the most flammable parts of their yard. It took a very scary and clear path around the Miller’s house. On the north side it came as close as four feet. On the west side of the house, flames came as close as 22 inches.
The blaze also left sizzled grass leading to the back porch of their 80 year old neighbors.
And the suspected cause of the midday fire “I asked what could have caused this and they (firefighter) said it looked like somebody threw a cigarette in the neighbor’s yard because that’s where it started at and the wind just carried it straight to the house.”
Upsetting to the Millers and their small children.
“If you are a smoker just try to be more careful because your little actions can affect somebody else in a great way,” said Stephanie.
The May tornado skipped the Miller home and they are grateful for the latest hedge of protection this time around too.
She said, “I fell blessed thankful. I know that God is watching my house. I’m glad my kids weren’t home.”
A few reminders from the Moore Fire Department during these dry winter months:
1. Create a defensible space of at least 30 feet around your house and outbuildings; closely mow lawns
2. Avoid driving or parking vehicles in grassy areas
3. Postpone outdoor burning until your area greens up
4. Dispose of cigarettes in a proper container
- 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin's final words revealed
- 'Super' exercise helps mother lose 110 pounds, secret in 'core'
- GRAPHIC: Oklahoma man said he found his stolen mule tied to tree, starved to death
- UPDATE: Crews find body investigating carbon monoxide leak at home in northwest Oklahoma City