Parents charged after 1-year-old wanders away from “filthy home”
OKLAHOMA CITY – An Oklahoma City couple is behind bars after a 1-year-old baby is found wandering the streets alone wearing only a diaper.
The toddler was rescued by police, who eventually tracked down where the little girl lived, and reportedly found a home in filthy conditions.
Those conditions, coupled with the fact that the child managed to wander away from home, led police to arrest the parents for child neglect.
“It was a filthy home,” said MSgt. Gary Knight, with the Oklahoma City Police Department. “They did not have running water because all the pipes had burst.”
A 17-year-old who lived in the house told police the parents, Jeffery Lamb and Shana Kennedy, had left the teen in charge.
When the teen fell asleep, the child wandered away.
Police arrested the couple for child neglect, even though the law doesn’t specify at what age kids can be left home without adult supervision.
Knight said, “There isn’t a cutoff age for when a child can be left with an older sibling, but it certainly didn’t help that the house was a house of squalor.”
“For the kids’ sake, I’m glad somebody is doing something about it,” said one concerned neighbor. “Kids deserve better than that.”
The two suspects are each being held on $10,000 bond each.
The couple has a criminal history; both had active warrants for their arrest.
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'
- Oklahoma sisters lose both parents in 48 hours; FFA community rallies behind them
- Feline Fury: Family calls 911, says 'fat, angry' cat has them trapped in bedroom
- 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin's final words revealed
- FIRES: Wildfires are sparking across the metro, crews stressing caution during high fire danger