NORMAN, Okla. -- Norman firefighters rushes to a garage fire at a home in the 700 block of South Ponca Avenue in Norman about 7 a.m. Monday.
The home is in a neighborhood not far from Alameda and Jenkins.
"It took crews about 20 minutes to get it extinguished because the entire attic was decked. (There was) lots of material in the attic." said Norman Deputy Fire Chief, Jim Bailey.
Firefighters pulled shingles off the roof to ventilate the attic, but it was the artwork below that was the real loss of the morning.
The un-attached garage doubles as a gallery and storage space for local painter, Tim Kenney.
There were 50 paintings inside, ranging in price from $300 to $4000.
"The paintings take a long time to dry so we let them dry out here in the garage so." said Kenney.
Some of the artwork can be cleaned and salvaged.
Dozens of pieces are lost; six months of work.
"I've got a show I'm doing in a couple of weeks in Santa Fe so we'll have to re-evaluate that. I did a number of paintings for the show to prepare for that. I've got about 30 new ones and about 20 old ones." said Kenney.
One of the paintings was already sold, schedule for pick-up Monday morning.
"The damage and the cost and the heartache, that's not that big of a deal in the long run." Kenney said.
No injuries were reported.
Norman fire investigators believe the fire was started after some ashes were left in a trash can next to the home.