Lawmaker working to change ‘Dash Cam Loophole’ exemption for Highway Patrol
OKLAHOMA CITY – We are following the latest developments in a bill making its way through the legislative process at our State Capitol.
It involves a government transparency issue we first told you about last year, Oklahoma Highway Patrol dash camera video and audio.
Every law enforcement agency in Oklahoma is subject to the Oklahoma Open Records Act.
When requested by a citizen, those agencies must release dash cam video.
However, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol does not have to comply with the Open Records Act because of an exemption written into state law in 2005.
After the NewsChannel 4 investigation, Oklahoma State Senator David Holt, wrote a bill removing the OHP video and audio exemption.
Holt and others said they believe the Oklahoma Highway Patrol should be subject to the same transparency standards as every other law enforcement agency in Oklahoma.
Wednesday, Holt’s bill, SB 1513, will have a hearing in the Committee On Rules Wednesday at 11 a.m at Room 419-C in the State Capitol building.
According to Holt, voters with strong feelings about this issue should email committee members to have their opinion heard.
The following legislators sit on the Committee On Rules:
- Senator A J Griffin email@example.com (Chair)
- Senator Rob Johnson firstname.lastname@example.org (Vice Chair)
- Senator Don Barrington email@example.com
- Senator Cliff Branan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator Rick Brinkley email@example.com
- Senator Kim David firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator Eddie Fields email@example.com
- Senator John Ford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator Jim Halligan email@example.com
- Senator Constance Johnson firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator Clark Jolley email@example.com
- Senator Ron Justice firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator Bryce Marlatt email@example.com
- Senator Al McAffrey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator Jabar Shumate email@example.com
- Senator Frank Simpson firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator John Sparks email@example.com
- Senator Rob Standridge firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator Gary Stanislawski email@example.com
- Senator Charles Wyrick firstname.lastname@example.org
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'
- Oklahoma sisters lose both parents in 48 hours; FFA community rallies behind them
- Feline Fury: Family calls 911, says 'fat, angry' cat has them trapped in bedroom
- 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin's final words revealed
- FIRES: Wildfires are sparking across the metro, crews stressing caution during high fire danger