Annual pilgrimage honors president Lincoln’s birthday
SPRINGFIELD – It’s a day to celebrate Lincoln.
In Springfield Wednesday, there was a pilgrimage to Lincoln’s tomb in honor of his birthday.
This year marked the 80th National Pilgrimage to the tomb which is sponsored by the American Legion from many states.
Wreaths were left at the tomb, there were salutes and signing to honor the Nation’s 16th president.
Lincoln was the 16th President of the United States, serving from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865.
Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12th, 1809.
“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” -Abraham Lincoln
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'
- 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin's final words revealed
- 'Super' exercise helps mother lose 110 pounds, secret in 'core'
- Oklahoma sisters lose both parents in 48 hours; FFA community rallies behind them
- Feline Fury: Family calls 911, says 'fat, angry' cat has them trapped in bedroom