Road Conditions: Highways clear, side streets still covered in ice
Oklahoma Department of Transportation crews are reporting clear roads for many areas but said drivers should still use extreme caution, especially on side streets after refreezing overnight.
The highways seem to be in pretty good condition however, the neighborhood roads and side streets are still covered with ice in many areas.
Drivers across the state are encouraged to use caution this morning and throughout the day and be aware of black ice.
During snow and/or ice conditions, motorists are asked to:
- Check road conditions before getting out on the roads.
- Stay at least 200 feet behind road-clearing equipment; crews need room to maneuver and can engage plowing or spreading materials without notice.
- Allow extra space between vehicles, so there is adequate distance for braking in wet and icy conditions.
- Be aware of “black ice,” which looks wet on the roadway but is actually a thin layer of ice.
- Please be patient, plan trips ahead and allow extra time to reach destinations.
Additional advisories will be sent from this office as conditions change.
Out-of-State Road Conditions:
New Mexico: 800-432-4269
To check CURRENT ROAD CONDITIONS, call the Department of Public Safety’s ROAD CONDITIONS HOTLINE at 888-425-2385.