OKLAHOMA CITY – A family is without a home in southeast Oklahoma City after an early morning blaze destroyed their property.
Carey said, “There were a couple of loud explosions and pretty much shook my house.”
Bryon Carey was awakened by loud noises and bright lights coming from his neighbor’s home, near S.E. 149th St. and Oak Crossing Rd.
Carey said, “Had the blinds closed and looked and the blinds were glowing red, an orange color and I immediately knew it was something.”
As Carey was watching the fire grow, the resident inside the home was also asleep.
However, his dogs alerted him to the danger.
Fortunately, the man and his pets were able to get out safely.
When fire crews arrived on scene, they faced several challenges.
Pipes were frozen and there was no water supply nearby, forcing tankers to shuttle water to fight the blaze.
Batt. Chief Tony Davis, with the Oklahoma City Fire Department, said, “Our first water source was out of service, so we had to go a little bit further to get water. So it’s increasing our turnaround time, which means it takes a little longer to get water to the scene.”
After more than three hours, the fire was out.
Authorities said the man in the home was burning wood in the fireplace to keep warm, which may have sparked the blaze.
Carey is thankful his neighbor is okay and hopes he recovers soon.
He said, “Hopefully David can rebuild, he’s good people. Hopefully, get back on their feet soon and continue to be my neighbor.”
The house is a total loss and the family is being assisted by the American Red Cross.