Pregnant mother rescues neighbor from house fire
NEBRASKA – A mother in Nebraska is being honored for her heroic actions that saved a neighbor’s life.
Manek Campbell woke up to the smell of smoke.
Her two teenage daughters were in a panic because their building was on fire.
Manek and her daughters crawled down the stairs and out the front door to safety.
“I open the front door, got down on the ground and I could see a space where they could get out,” she recalls.
But not everyone was out of the building, Manek heard a neighbor girl crying for help.
“My instincts were, I’m about to go get her mother out of there, and so I ran in there, picked her up and carried her out of the building,” she says.
All of this happened while Manek was seven months pregnant.
“I just didn’t think about it,” she said.
“It was, I’m about to help the little girl. I couldn’t imagine her growing up without a mommy. It took me maybe a couple of days to realize what actually happened because I was still in shock behind it all because everything happened so fast.”