With gas prices shooting up all across the state, everyone could use some tips on how to save a little extra money.
According to an article by esurance, people who travel at high speeds and only fill up when the tank is empty spend more per gallon than slower, more easygoing drivers.
Esurance has provided the following tips to help optimize your gas mileage:
1.) Clean out your trunk
- Weighing down your trunk with excess clutter will make your care heavier end up cutting your mileage up to 5%.
2.) Keep your windows closed
- Depending on how fast you are going, open windows can actually cause your car to drag which can impact your gas mileage up to 10%.
3.) Fill up your tires
- Keeping your tires filled can improve your gas mileage by 3% or more.
4.) Drive a steady/modest speed
- Once you go over 60 mph, you start losing fuel efficiency – 10% for every additional 5 mph.
5.) Don’t buy pricey gas
- Don’t buy premium gas if regular is recommended for your car, it will not give you better gas mileage.
Esurance also recommends checking Fuelcaster before buying gas.
Fuelcaster is a gas price predictor that can tell you if gas prices will rise or fall the next day.
Taking advantage of all of these tips will help save you some money and get better gas mileage.