HARTFORD, Conn. (CNN) – The Connecticut woman, who was mauled by a pet chimpanzee five years ago, made a plea Friday for her right to sue the state.
Charla Nash, who is blind, lost both of her hands and had a complete face transplant following an infamous rampage by Travis the chimp.
Nash is hoping to sue the state of Connecticut for $150 million in damages.
According to NBCNews, part of the $150 million she’s seeking would fund a hand transplant.
Nash previously sued Sandra Herold, the owner of the chimp, and received $4 million.
However, according to spokesman Shelly Sinland, that settlement does not even begin to cover the expenses for Nash’s treatment.
Last year a Connecticut Claims Commissioner denied Nash’s request for permission to due.
Nash claims the state and local Department of Energy and Environmental Protection knew the chimp posed a threat and should be liable for the accident.
According to reports, authorities at the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection ignored a memo sent in October 2008, four months before the attack, from a Connecticut state biologist that said Travis the chimp was “an accident waiting to happen.”
Connecticut’s attorney general spokeswoman Jaclyn Falkowski said that since the accident occurred on private property, the state should not be held reliable for this accident.
Falkowski stated, “While we have the utmost sympathy for Charla Nash, we do not believe that the state is liable for Ms. Nash’s injuries. To decide otherwise would set a very dangerous precedent, exposing the state and its taxpayers to unlimited liability and costly litigation.”
This appeal will be the last opportunity for Nash to get permission to move forward with a lawsuit.