Lace up your sneakers, today is National Walking Day
Lace up those sneakers, today is National Walking Day.
The American Heart Association and other state health groups are encouraging Oklahomans to take steps toward a healthier lifestyle.
“As Americans, we are guilty of not getting the required amount of daily physical activity. The reality is that adults need at least 30 minutes and children need at least 60 minutes of physical activity everyday,” Dawn Chernicky said, Wellness Now Coalition.
According to the American Heart Association, one in two men and one in three women are at risk of developing heart disease. In fact, heart disease is America’s number one killer.
On National Walking Day, Shape Your Future and the Wellness Now Coalition suggest:
- Walk with your family around your neighborhood.
– Start a walking club and schedule future walks.
– Invite your coworkers to bring sneakers to work and make one of your meetings a walking meeting, instead of sitting.
– Take your dog for a walk at a new park
– Encourage your children to walk after school with friends.