Sunshine in store for Memorial Day weekend

UPDATE: Man dies after being shuffled around from hospital to detox center

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

UPDATE: 4/18, 2:30 p.m. – The Oklahoma City Police Department has announced David Harjo died Thursday night.

Harjo was submitted to the hospital after being shuffled around from one hospital to detox and back to the hospital five days ago.

He was severely intoxicated and was suffering from a life threatening medial condition.

OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma City police are investigating two of their own as a metro man clings to life at a local hospital.

Investigators say the severely intoxicated victim was shuffled from hospital to detox and back to the hospital, all while suffering from a life threatening medical condition.

The victim in this case is said to have a serious head injury with bleeding on his brain.

He is not expected to survive.

It all started Sunday night when a call to EMSA brought paramedics to an apartment complex along North Grand.

Emergency crews found a 59-year-old complaining of chest pains and rushed him to Deaconess Hospital.

Three hours later Deaconess workers called police to move the man again to the city's detox center.

"I guess the hospital workers felt they needed to get him out of the hospital, but he was still intoxicated and they didn't want to release him," said Oklahoma City police Capt. Dexter Nelson.

Captain Nelson says when two police officers drove the man to the detox center where he got turned away for being more than 4 times over the legal limit.

"You can be too intoxicated for detox. He was at a level that warranted us taking him to the hospital to get clearance, but officers had just gotten a summons to the hospital to take him from the hospital to the detox center," said Nelson.

That's when EMSA paramedics were called yet again and transported the man, identified as David Harjo, back to Deaconess where further tests showed the victim was suffering a near fatal head injury.

A search of police records shows Harjo has been arrested numerous times over the years for alcohol related crimes, but right now it remains a mystery how Harjo hurt his head.

Nelson says their officers never used any force on the victim.

"Right now they are unable to tell us anything that caused this man's injuries. We don't know what happened to him," said Nelson.

The victim is now being treated by OU Medical Center.

The two police officers have been placed on leave while the case is investigated.