One year later: Families, friends remember those lost and injured in Boston Marathon bombings
BOSTON – It’s been one year since the Boston Marathon bombing and the city and the nation are pausing to remember those killed and injured in the attack.
One year ago today, those blasts killed three people and injured more than 260 others.
At the very spot where the first bomb exploded one year ago, the Richard family paused to remember 8-year-old Martin, who was killed while simply enjoying the day with his family.
His sister, Jane, still has a visible reminder of what happened last year in the form of a prosthetic leg.
While the scars are hard to see, they are still painful for many people.
Organizers say today is about remembering the dead but also to celebrate their lives and the fight to triumph over tragedy.
Bostonians will honor Martin Richard, Krystle Campbell and Lu Lingzi, who all died while simply watching the marathon.
They will also remember MIT police officer Sean Collier, who was shot and killed as the bombing suspects tried to flee the city.
JP and Paul Norden both lost legs in the blast and Tuesday is a chance for them to show just how far they have come.
They’re walking the Boston Marathon course with family and friends.
Jeff Baumann said, “It feels like a month has gone by because everything has been so quick and I’ve been doing so much. You’re kind of fighting yourself to move forward.”
Mayor Marty Walsh says it’s important for Boston to continue its Patriot’s Day tradition, showing it won’t be paralyzed by fear.
Officials say 9,000 more runners than last year will take to the streets next week for the marathon.
Many are running to honor the victims while others are working to show that fear will not win out.
Showing strength simply by putting one foot in front of the other, regardless of how hard that might be.