‘It shouldn’t have happened,’ Family shocked after man dies from common infection
A mother says she is trying to help others after losing her son.
Aloha Schneider said, “It shouldn’t have happened. It shouldn’t have happened. It’s a nightmare.”
Schneider’s 31-year-old son, John, didn’t feel well but thought he had just a routine sinus infection.
She said, “We asked him to go to the doctor and he wouldn’t go. He was like, ‘I’m okay, I’m okay. I don’t have any money. I’m okay.”
Rather than a sinus infection, John had a tooth infection.
He had minor pain, which he ignored.
The infection invaded his blood supply and started to shut down all of his major organs.
Schneider said, “He had open heart surgery on a Wednesday morning on the 16th, and he passed that Thursday morning at 1:17 a.m.”
While this sounds like a rare tragedy, his family says it happens more often than you think and the signs are not always easy to see.
Andrea Reisert, John’s sister, said, “Go to the dentist. Get your teeth checked, go for cleanings. You don’t have to have pain, and you don’t have to have bad teeth.”
Dr. Richard Kruer, with Cincinnati Dental Services, said, “Most of the practitioners have a heart and if they see, if you’re in trouble, they will see you, give you antibiotics, get you to the hospital so that you can avert these things.”
John’s family hopes to start a foundation to help pay for dental services for those in need.
Reisert said, “We promised him we wouldn’t forget him. We promised him that nobody else, if we can help it, will die from this.”