Simple, effective ways to turn that frown upside down without food or drugs
You exercise regularly, get enough Zzzzs and follow a healthy diet but still find yourself feeling ‘blah’ from time to time.
We have good news; there are natural pick-me-ups that are both simple and effective.
Here are some ideas.
- Catch some rays, without going overboard.
We know exposure to sunlight seems to help so open the drapes in your room, let some sun in, get outside as much as you can.
- Don’t underestimate the power of human touch.
Certainly hugs, hand-holding and getting a massage can actually be a very helpful thing for your mood.
- Volunteer. A lot of times, people may not necessarily feel like going out and doing something that would help somebody else but afterwards, they report feeling much better.
- Keep a gratitude journal. Sit down and list all the things in your life that you’re thankful for and that are going well.
- Set aside time to be alone and meditate.
Take some deep breaths and focus on only that.
One study showed people who meditate for just six weeks show more activity in the area of the brain that people have when they’re optimistic, so it really makes a difference.
Try one or more of these whenever you need your spirits need a lift.