Sunshine in store for Memorial Day weekend

Update: High school student responsible for school shooting near Portland

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

UPDATE: (CNN) — A lone gunman had opened fire at a high school near Portland, Oregon early Tuesday, killing one student and forcing others to flee.

According to CNN, an assistant principal told students to go into lockdown mode.

A teacher suffered non-life-threatening injuries. He was treated at the scene.

The suspected gunman is also dead, the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office said.

According to multiple law enforcement officials, the shooter was a student at the school. The gunman appears to have died from a self-inflicted wound, the sources told CNN.

Authorities are working to notify the relatives of both the shooter and the student, neither of whom has been identified.

Officials believe they know who the gunman was, but they are “not confident enough” to reveal details yet, Troutdale Police Chief Scott Anderson told reporters midday Tuesday.

About an hour after the shooting, Oregon State Police said the area was secure and the situation was contained.

The shooting happened at about 8 a.m. at Reynolds High School in Troutdale, about 12 miles east of Portland. The city has a population of about 16,400 people.

Classes were in session at the time. Details about what led to the shooting weren’t immediately available. The gunman is believed to have used a rifle.

A couple of SWAT teams responded, said Sue Strickland of the Troutdale Police Department.

“Without the quick and well-executed response, this tragedy could have been much worse,” the Reynolds School District said in a statement.

Anxious parents waited for news that their children were safe.

A prayer vigil is being planned Tuesday night at Greater Portland Baptist Church.

“My heart is heavy after learning of this morning’s tragic events at Reynolds High School,” said Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber. “My thoughts and prayers are with students, staff and the Reynolds High School community.”


TROUTDALE, Ore. (NBC) – A shooting at an Oregon high school has come to an end after police say the alleged shooter was found dead.

Police started receiving calls about an “active shooter” situation at Reynolds High School around 8:07 a.m. Tuesday morning.

According to KGW, as students and teachers began arriving for class, they could hear gunfire.

Emergency crews immediately arrived on scene and the facility was placed on lockdown.

No word on the number of victims or the extent of the injuries.

At this time, the alleged shooter is the only confirmed death.

This is a developing story.

For more updated information, visit KGW’s website.