Yukon family left homeless after fire destroys their home

fire generic

YUKON, Okla.-A Yukon family is left homeless Saturday after an early morning fire forced them out of their house.

The residents were still in the moving phase, only living in the home for about a month.

They were able to wake up just in time to get out and call the Fire Department to save the house.

Fire and smoke damage are left in the bathroom and a plastic tarp covered the bed, where family members once slept.

Despite the damage and no place to live, residents said they’re lucky.

“You could have imagined what the tragedy would have been,” said Reyes.

Eduardo Reyes said he woke up to the smell of smoke coming from a bathroom fixture and heating unit.

Their house is in Yukon near Vandament Avenue and Yukon Parkway.

“I had to get everyone out, everybody was still in bed. It was just a little bit difficult,” said Reyes.

Luckily, everyone made it out safe.

Crews said this was an electrical fire that took place above the bathroom.

“We were able to make an aggressive interior attack and stop it in its tracks,Keep it from getting into the attic,” said Battalion Chief Kent Long with the Yukon Fire Department.

“There’s so much potential in an attic, just as the sheer space of it and if people have a lot of stuff loaded in the attic,” said Long.
However, a family is still left with a big mess to clean up.

“We’re just finishing setting everything up and now we have to start bringing some things back out and go find a place to stay,” said Reyes.

The family was renting and has to wait to find somewhere to stay until the house is deemed livable.

Fire officials said the house has $10,000.00 worth of damage.