GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (FOX17) – An article that is going viral on the web is terrifying pet owners.
The blog post, called “No Ice Water For Dogs Please Read ASAP,” discusses one dog’s near deadly encounter.
FOX17 spoke with a veterinarian to find out the truth behind the post.
The article claims a dog almost died after his owner gave him ice water, claiming the cold water caused the dog to bloat.
Dr. Randall Carpenter says bloat is a life-threatening situation for dogs because it actually flips their stomach while enlarging it.
“If the dog is overheated and dehydrated, and desperate for fluids and they consume huge, huge amounts of ice cubes or water all at one time, it could create a situation where the dog could bloat,” said Dr. Carpenter.
However, that is true for large amounts of any temperature water.
He says consuming cold water or ice cubes in moderation will not cause bloat.
In fact, he says ice cubes and water when the weather is hot is actually a good thing.