Fire crews say e-cig charger to blame for house fire in Northwest OKC

OKLAHOMA CITY – A woman burned her hand trying to put out a fire that sparked inside her home.

Investigators say the cause was due to an electronic cigarette charger.

The house has thousands of dollars in damage, boarded in windows and charred processions.

“You don’t believe it, you don’t believe it. Then you pull up and see what’s going on,” said Zahn.

Family members hug outside this home near May and Hefner in Northwest Oklahoma City.

Two people were inside the house when they were awakened by fast moving flames.

“There was a charger for one of those vapor cigarettes. It caught fire,” said Zahn.

Richard Zahn said his daughter-in-law was trying to quit smoking, using an e-cigarette.

“Trying to do something good then something like this happens,” said Zahn.

“She says she saw it catch fire and extend into some plastic storage tubs and up into her bed,” said District Chief Chad Everett with the Oklahoma City Fire Department.

Fire crews said the blaze spread into the hallway, broke through the back door and out into the porch area.

The woman inside desperately tried to stop the flames from spreading and burned her hand in the process and was treated at the hospital.

“We recommend the people never try to put out the fire themselves, just close the doors as you leave,” said Everett.

For family members, they never thought an e-cigarette charger would leave them homeless, but with their support system, they’ll make it through.

“You move forward. We have a lot of family, a lot of friends and we’ll be ok,” said Zahn.

Investigators are still trying to figure out how the e-cig charger sparked the blaze.

The house has $70,000 in damage.