Local mother speaks about the mistake of locking two-year-old in car

OKLAHOMA CITY – Paramedics say there has been an increase in the number of calls about children locked inside vehicles.

One mother describes the moment she accidentally locked her two-year-old in a hot car while trying to change a dirty diaper.

“In those brief couple of minutes he was sweating, he was hot, his cheeks were rosy,” she said. “I went to get him out and he had an accident so I put him back in.  I threw my purse back up front and got out to go get in the driver’s seat and as soon as I shut the door, I realized that he was locked in there.

She said panic overtook her.

She immediately called EMSA while she tried to break the windows with her elbows.

“He could have died, he could have gotten brain damage. There are so many things that runs through your mind when that happens its scary, very scary.”

At first medics tried to get inside the mother’s car through three different doors.

Eleven minutes later she says EMSA had to break a window to save her son.

EMSA officials said this loving mother is not alone.

Since May, they’ve had at least 50 calls for kids locked inside vehicles.

That averages to about three a day.

“People are forgetting and accidents happen, like locking your keys in the car.  So we’re seeing a few different scenarios,” said John Graham EMSA Operations Manager.

Not all of the children suffered heat related injuries but the rush to save them was a life or death situation.

“Be hyper vigilant, super focused. It only takes a second. It just doesn’t take any time at all to get them overheated and it’s truly a life threatening emergency in a short amount of time.”

Paramedics say even while waiting you should keep trying to get in the car even if it means using a rock, because every minute counts.