MARYSVILLE, Calif. – A 911 dispatcher fields a call, only to realize it was coming from her own home.
The dispatcher was able to keep calm and helped save her son’s life.
Maverick was in the bedroom playing as his father moved furniture into the living room.
When Robert Kimball went back into his room, he knew something was wrong.
“Tried to contact him, see what’s going on, realized he was choking,” said Kimball.
Kimball, who is a former orderly, tried to dislodge a metal washer that the infant had swallowed.
Unfortunately, he couldn’t get it out.
“As it progressed and he started having more trouble breathing, it got to a bright red and then he just went pale in the face,” said Kimball.
Kimball decided to call 911 with his cell phone.
On the other end was his fiance, who is a dispatcher.
Kimball gave his information, including his home address, and that’s when Britney Melchor realized it was her own son who needed medical help.
“Mommy mode kinda hit, like that’s my son. I panicked but then I was like, you know what, I gotta get him the help that he absolutely needs,” said Melchor.
Melchor’s maternal instincts gave way to training and composure, despite her personal stake in this 911 call.
“You see firsthand now that you’re someone’s lifeline. You’re their guardian angel in the few seconds that you’re on the phone with them,” said Melchor.
She sent paramedics to her home and they arrived just before Kimball was able to clear Maverick’s airway of the washer.
“I’m very protective of him and it definitely hit me, knowing that happened and I was watching him,” said Kimball.