BROKEN ARROW, Okla. – An Oklahoma boy will be at the table for First Lady Michelle Obama’s “Kid’s State Dinner” Friday.
54 children, who come from every U.S. state and territory, were selected as winners in a healthy recipe competition as part of the First Lady’s “Let’s Move!” initiative.
The children came up with a recipe in the ‘Healthy Lunchtime Challenge’.
Ranger Lemaster, 8, from Broken Arrow, Okla. was chosen as the winner from Oklahoma!
The dish he entered in the challenge was a ‘Smoky Southwestern Vegetable Dip’.
Ranger told KJRH that he is looking forward to meeting the President and First Lady.
Ranger’s recipe for ‘Smoky Southwestern Vegetable Dip’, according to letsmove.gov.
- 4 whole-grain pitas
- Baked corn tortilla chips
- Grape seed oil or olive oil, for drizzling
- Himalayan pink salt or any sea salt or coarse salt to taste
- 1 (16-ounce) container of low-fat cottage cheese, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can sweet whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup peeled and seeded cucumber, chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 small avocado, cubed
- ¼ cup roasted salted sunflower seeds
- Celery sticks
- To make the crisps: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Cut pita wedges and corn tortillas into bite-size wedges and lightly sprinkle with oil and salt. Bake in oven for 10 minutes, turning over after 5 minutes. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, mix cottage cheese, black beans, corn, cucumber, and red pepper. Add the lime and spices, stir and refrigerate for about 15 minutes. Add avocado and sunflower seeds just before serving.
314 calories; 8g fat; 41g carbohydrates; 18g protein
Makes 8-10 appetizer servings
Click here to get Ranger’s recipe.
The following are state winners of the Healthy Lunchtime Challenge:
- ALABAMA : Veggie Spaghetti with Alabama Gulf Shrimp, Jane Battle, 10
- ALASKA: Maple Pecan Salmon Delight, Michael Halpern, 10
- ARIZONA: Shrimp Tacos with Watermelon Jicama Salad, Cody Vasquez, 11
- ARKANSAS: Arkansas meets Asia Catfish Sliders, Hart Irby, 10
- CALIFORNIA: Ethiopian Kik Alitcha, Genene Savall, 10
- COLORADO: Grilled Salmon with Farro & Warm Swiss Chard Salad, Kiana Farkash, 8
- CONNECTICUT: Quinoa Chicken Burger with Kale and Potato Chips, Cecilia Vinas, 10
- DELAWARE: Chi-Irish Shepherd’s Pie, Roisin Liew, 9
- DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA: Healthy Grains, Squash, Apples, Sausage, & Kale, Maxwell Lynch, 10
- FLORIDA: Fish Cartucho Al Gabusho, Gabriel Medina, 10
- GEORGIA: Grillin’ Out Veggie Style, Mira Solomon, 10
- GUAM: Mo-Rockin’ Meatless Monday Special, Lily Vinch, 8
- HAWAII: ‘Aina Holoka’I, Grady Duncan, 9
- IDAHO: K&T’s Amazing Tortilla Chicken Soup, Katie Hebdon, 11
- ILLINOIS: Lincoln’s Inaugural Soup, Tess Boghossian, 11
- INDIANA: Sophie’s Healthy Coconut Chicken, Sophie McKinney Han, 10
- IOWA: Over the Rainbow Veggie Pancakes, Anabel Bradley, 8
- KANSAS: Tangy Veggy Springetty, Jasmy Seetala, 8
- KENTUCKY: Around the World in One Bite, Lucy Fairhead, 8
- LOUISIANA: Muffin Tin Egg White Frittatas, Moria Doran, 10
- MAINE: Mexican Haystack, Sienna Mazone, 12
- MARYLAND: Chesapeake Fish Tacos, Lemon-Basil Sorbet, Esther Matheny, 10
- MASSACHUSETTS: Quinoa Lentil Burgers with Kale Slaw, Yonah de Graaf, 10
- MICHIGAN: Barack-oli and Mich-room Obama-lette, Elena Hirsch, 11
- MINNESOTA: Quinoa and Black Beans, Sophia Webster, 12
- MISSOURI: Asian Chicken Meatball & Cauliflower Rice Tortilla, Joshua Wittman-Murphy, 10
- MISSISSIPPI: Quinoa Sweet Potato Boat, Devlyn Davis, 10
- MONTANA: “What! You Don’t Like Tofu?” Stir Fry, Chloe Long, 10
- NORTH CAROLINA: Yummy and Healthy Kati Roll, Rajen Dey, 11
- NORTH DAKOTA: Grilled Veggie Brunch, Tegan Lancaster, 11
- NEBRASKA: Terrific Turkey Tacos, Zienna Peterson, 10
- NEW HAMPSHIRE: Pan-seared Salmon with Vegetables & Tricolor Salad, Jessica Bakas, 12
- NEW JERSEY: Sweet Potato Crusted Turkey & Veggie Pizza, Jacob Cook, 9
- NEW MEXICO: Southwestern Casera, Max Johnson-Jimenez, 11
- NEVADA: Chicken and Grape Salad Lettuce Wraps, Grace Keating, 11
- NEW YORK: Mike’s Chicken and Vegetable Dumpling Cups, Michael Lombardi, 11
- OHIO: Sunrise Tuscan Chicken, Abigail Messina, 9
- OKLAHOMA: Smoky Southwestern Vegetable Dip, Ranger Lemaster, 8
- OREGON: Healthy Stuffed Rainbow Peppers, Grace Wetzler, 12
- PENNSYLVANIA: Seafood Tacos with Lime Coleslaw and Peachy Salsa, Hannah Foley, 10
- PUERTO RICO: Salmon and Salad Island Deluxe, Karla Gonzalez, 10
- RHODE ISLAND: Mediterranean Kebab Wrap with Cilantro Tabbouleh, Kinnan Hammond-Dowie, 12
- SOUTH CAROLINA: Carolina Chicken Chili, Julia Pascoe, 8
- SOUTH DAKOTA: Hawaiian Kale Wraps, Sabrina Swee, 12
- TENNESSEE: Tennessee Tabouli, Lily Sahihi, 9
- TEXAS: Baked Falafel, Ariel Derby, 8
- UTAH: New Polish Potatoes, Andrew Chardack, 9
- VERMONT: Chinese Vegetable Stir Fry, Iris Hsiang, 10
- VIRGINA: Chia Chicken Pitas, Sophie Haga, 12
- WASHINGTON: This Fish has Gone Nuts!, Maliha Amarsi, 9
- WEST VIRIGINA: Magnificent Mediterranean Spotlight Peppers, Adrianna Nelson, 9
- WISCONSIN: Amazing African Sweet Potato Stew, Sarah Ganser, 12
- WYOMING: Stuffed Pumpkin, KyAnn James, 11
- VIRGIN ISLANDS: Ahlissa’s Rainbow Caribbean Soup,Ahlissa Pierce, 9