Results released in “Great Colleges to Work For,” see which Oklahoma school made the list
EDMOND, Okla. – If you are looking for a job, you may want to head to a local university.
The University of Central Oklahoma was named one of the “2014 Great Colleges to Work For” by the Chronicle of Higher Education.
UCO is the only university in the state that made the list and one of only a handful of institutions in the nation making the “Honor Roll.”
The university ranks among the best nationally in nine of the survey’s categories, including the following:
- Collaborative Governance- faculty members play a significant role in decision related to academic programs.
- Confidence in Senior Leadership- leaders have the knowledge, skills and experience necessary for the success of the university.
- Job Satisfaction – there is an overall sense that the job is meaningful to the employee and the university.
- Professional/ Career Development Programs – employees are given the opportunity to develop skills and understand requirements to advance their careers.
- Respect and Appreciation – employees are regularly recognized for their contributions.
- Supervisor or Department Chair Relationship – supervisors or chairs make expectations clear and solicit ideas.
- Teaching Environment – faculty believe the institution recognizes innovative and high quality teaching.
- Tenure and Clarity Process – faculty believe requirements for tenure are clear.
- Work/ Life Balance – policies give employees the flexibility to manage their personal lives.
Organizers say they created the list after surveying faculty and staff at universities and colleges throughout the country.
The list is based on responses from 44,000 people at 196 four-year colleges and universities and 82 two-year colleges.
In all, 92 institutions made the list.