Oklahoma Watches and Warnings
Watch KFOR Live Interactive Radar

Company investigating after cell phone catches fire under girl’s pillow

Texting phone

DALLAS, Texas (KDFW) – A girl in Texas is warning others about their cell phones after experiencing a close call.

Ariel Tolfree loves her Samsung Galaxy S4 but says that her phone is now unrecognizable.

“The whole phone melted,” Thomas Tolfree told KDFW. “The plastic, the glass. You can’t even really tell that it was a phone.”

Tolfree says her phone slipped under her pillow when she fell asleep and she awoke to find the phone burning.

Thomas believes the phone overheated and the battery swelled, causing the fire.

A spokesperson for Samsung says their products are safe but says the battery inside the phone was a replacement and not an original Samsung part.

Also, the company says it posts a warning to their user guide that tells customers to never cover their device with bedding or other material, which could restrict air flow and start a fire.

Nevertheless, the company has asked to investigate and offered to replace the girl’s phone, bedding, mattress and pillow.

Click here for the full story.

Filed in: News

Suggest a correction