Beautiful days ahead with cooler temperatures

Officials: Boko Haram commits ‘deadliest massacre,’ nearly 2,000 dead

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NIGERIA– A massive attack on a city in Nigeria has left an overwhelming amount of bodies strewn about the streets.

Boko Haram seized the military base in the town of Baga on January 3rd, then returned to finish off the attack on Wednesday.

According to NBC, district leader Musa Alhaji Bukar told the BBC that 2,000 residents from Baga – as well as 16 other towns – had been invaded by the radical Islamist terror group. It was noted that Baga is now “virtually nonexistent,” making the massacre one of the most deadly terror attacks in history.

Officials have warned that getting an accurate death toll would be ‘nearly impossible.’

The attack was followed through by Boko Haram militants, who went door-to-door killing families, then strategically placing improvised explosive devices in the streets.

As survivors ran from the explosives, they ran straight into areas where firing squads were waiting to take their lives, according to a U.S. counterterrorism official.

“They were mowed down” by automatic weapons fire, the official said.

The villages were then set on fire, and militants moved on to other areas to repeat the process, officials told the BBC.

Those who survived the slaughter took their chances with the hippos and tried to take refuge in Lake Chad, huddling on islands near the shallow lake’s shore.

See a mistake? Report a typo.