OKLAHOMA CITY – With thousands of downed tree limbs across the metro, scammers may try to get a grip on your hard earned cash by offering to do a little work around your property.
Officials say scammers who seem to be giving you a good deal can do irreversible damage to trees that can still be saved, and they can take advantage of you.
Possible signs of a scam are as follows:
- Soliciting work door-to-door.
- Demands for advance payment.
- Offering “topping,” “flush cut” or “hat racking.”
- Not offering a written estimate or work order.
- Rushing you into a decision.
Also, the City of Oklahoma City requires tree service professionals to be licensed in order to work in the city. Click here for a full list of licensed tree trimmers.
Experts say you should ask to see current certificates of liability and workers’ compensation insurance. Also, ask for references and check the quality of their work.