PROVO, Utah — Police in Utah are investigating the death of 1-year-old girl who died from an apparent heroin overdose.
Penny Cormani, 1, was found unresponsive with blue lips at a home in Utah on Dec. 2, Fox 13 Now reports.
The child's mother, Cassandra Leydsman Richards, told police she put her daughter down for a nap around 11 a.m.
When Richards went to check on Penny around noon, she found the child's lips were blue and she wasn't responding, court documents state.
The child was transported to a local hospital where she was pronounced dead.
The medical examiner reportedly found a lethal amount of heroin and codeine in the child's system.
According to Fox 13 Now, Penny, her mother, and her father, Casey Cormani, stayed with their neighbors, David and Sina Belgard, the day before the child's death.
When police searched the home, they found numerous items of drug paraphernalia including burnt foil with residue and straws with burnt ends and residue, court documents state.
Both Cormani and Richards deny any illicit drug use and say the paraphernalia belonged to the Belgards.
The Belgards insist they are not to blame for the death of the 1-year-old.
No one has been arrested in connection with Penny's death at this time.
Police say they are still investigating.