Beautiful Fall weather in store for Thanksgiving!

Family says man trapped by snow plow died of carbon monoxide poisoning

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SUNSET PARK, N.Y. – A man died of carbon monoxide poisoning after his family says he was trapped by a snow plow.

Ramonita Ginel says her husband, 44-year-old Angel Ginel, was last seen alive on Sunday night when he was shoveling snow with a friend.

Ramonita says she knew something was wrong when he didn’t come home. She called his family, friends and his work, but no one had seen him.

The next morning, she found their car a block from home covered in snow with Angel in the driver’s seat.

“He was just laying there, he wasn’t breathing,” she said. “I was banging on the windows, ‘Angel, wake up,’ and he wouldn’t get up. And I started shoveling the snow and called my son and nephew and they came, and his hand fell off the door. I guess he was trying to get out, he was pounding.”

The FDNY tells WABC that carbon monoxide deaths happen in a matter of minutes and victims become sick so fast that they don’t even realize they are in trouble until it is too late.

“He probably came to the car, wanted to warm up, he put his phone to charge and the plow truck came down the street, got him stuck in the car, and by the time he tried to escape, it was too late,” said Edwin Morales, Jr., Angel’s stepson.

On Tuesday, plows from the 72nd precinct were circling the neighborhood and officers checked cars for blocked tailpipes.

The Department of Sanitation had no comment on the situation and the medical examiner was yet to determine an official cause of death. But Angel’s family believes he died of carbon monoxide poisoning, according to WPIX.