Coast Guard calls off search for missing family after recovering 2 bodies

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MIAMI- Rescue teams are suspending their search after two bodies recovered in the search for a missing Florida family have been identified, Coast Guard Capt. Gregory Case said Saturday.

The bodies were identified as Ace Kimberly, 45, and his daughter Rebecca, 17.

They had gone missing last weekend along with sons Roger, 13, and Donny, 15, off the coast of Florida between Sarasota and Fort Myers.

The family had been living on the boat in Sarasota Bay.

They went missing June 19th while traveling to Fort Myers, about 77 miles south of Sarasota, to fix their boat, Case said.

Kimberly  contacted his brother, saying the family was caught in a massive thunderstorm.

When they didn’t return the brother reported them missing and the Coast Guard launched an immediate search.

Ample debris, belongings, and kayaks belonging to the family were found shortly before the discovery of the bodies.

But despite the grim findings, search crews said they were still operating under the hope that at least one of the missing family members might still be found alive.

“This is the most difficult decision I’ve had to make in this position,” Case said of his choice to call off the search.