Beautiful Fall weather in store for Thanksgiving!

ISIS claims responsibility for France attack

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

The aftermath of a truck attack in Nice that killed dozens. Credit: FRANCE2

The ISIS media branch is claiming responsibility for a truck attack in Nice that killed 84 people and injured more than 200 others on July 14.

In an online statement by its media agency Amaq , the terror group said the person behind the attack is an ISIS “soldier.”

French authorities have not indicated that the attack was part of a larger ISIS plot, or that the attacker took direction from ISIS.

Five people are in custody in connection with the attack on Bastille Day on Thursday, officials said.

“It seems that the attacker got radicalized very rapidly,” French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said Saturday about Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, the man driving the truck.

Cazeneuve reiterated that the attacker had not been known to the intelligence services previously.

The interior minister also noted authorities now face a new scenario with individuals who are becoming very sensitive to the messages of ISIS.