Temps to remain in the 50s and 60s with slight chance for rain over the weekend

Community helping couple after house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY – Community members are helping a metro couple get back on their feet after a Sunday morning fire destroyed their home.

"They were both asleep and she just happened to wake to the smell of smoke. They didn't have fire smoke alarms unfortunately,” Richard Goad, the pastor of River of Life church, said.

Goad says he received a text early in the morning that said a fire had destroyed the home of a couple in his church.

"Nobody plans for this. So, you don't even know the first thing you need to do. So, just having walked through I'm confident we'll contact Red Cross and see what assistance is available for them through Red Cross,” Goad said.

Goad says he was told a water heater in the garage may be to blame for the fire.

"Upon arrival we had heavy smoke coming out of all gables. It was an attack fire that engulfed the whole house and the attic. Had a hard time getting access to the attic,” TJ Hamil, Village Fire Department chief, said.

After some hard work, fire crews were finally able to put out the flames.

"We had kind of behind the eight ball from the get go so, we did what we could and got everything put out,” Hamil said.

Now, area neighbors and church members are trying to help the couple get back on their feet. Their church even paid to have the house boarded up.

"It was not fun. Yet, their faith I think was sustaining them and they're going to make it through this,” Goad said.

The River of Life church is trying to raise money to help the couple.