Remembering May 20th, 5 years later
Temperatures to climb back up over the next few days

Report: 17-year-old dies from stroke caused by hickey

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEXICO CITY – A 17-year-old boy in Mexico died from a stroke that doctors reportedly think was caused by a hickey.

Julio Macias Gonzalez was having dinner with his family when he started having convulsions.

Emergency crews were called to Gonzalez’s home, but unfortunately, he died at the scene.

Doctors believe the teen’s stroke may have been caused by a hickey he received from his 24-year-old girlfriend, the Independent reports.

The hickey resulted in a blood clot, which traveled to Gonzalez’s brain and led to the stroke, according to Hoyestado.com.

According to the Huffington Post, this isn’t the first reported case of a hickey causing a stroke.

In 2010, the New Zealand Medical Journal wrote a report about a 44-year-old woman who was rushed to the hospital after losing movement in her arm under mysterious circumstances.

At first, doctors weren’t sure why the woman was having a stroke.

However, have noticing a bruise on the woman’s neck, doctors realized the suction on a major artery created a blood clot, which went to the woman’s heart and caused a minor stroke.

That woman survived.