“My son was dying, and they brought him back,” 12-year-old Oklahoma boy recovers from snakebite

NEWALLA, Okla.-- One family has a heart pounding close call when their 12-year-old son was bitten by a venomous snake. Within minutes his body began shutting down.

It happened when the boy went outside to bring his dog in for the night and a snake lunged for his leg and struck.

"I looked down and saw it slither away,” Orein Gay said. "My leg instantly started hurting."

At first Orein's body tried to reject the venom. It was no match and then started shutting down. "Everything started numbing up,” he said. "My chest was really heavy, and I could barely move or breathe."

Orein made his way back inside to his mother. "Mama, my chest is heavy. My chest is heavy. I can't breathe,” Allana Gay said.

She immediately called 911.

Orein didn't think he was going to make it, "I might have died,” he said.

"And he says, 'Am I going to die?' And that's what really got me,” his mother said. "My own son watching him roll around in the floor and screaming that he is in pain, and it's just burning and he's on fire. I couldn't help him."

Not even 13 minutes passed before paramedics got there, but the venom was quicker.

"He was in and out of consciousness. He was having projectile vomiting,” EMSA Paramedic Jim McClung said. “At that time we realized that he was in critical condition."

"It was like nothing I've ever seen before,” Allana Gay said.

Allana did everything the dispatcher told her to do. "Lie still. Relax. Do not elevate the limb. Do not put a tourniquet on. Do not cut it. Do not suck it out,” McClung said.

"My son was dying, and they brought him back, and that's why he's still here,” Allana Gay said. "It's still really raw."

Paramedics were communicating with the hospital and as soon as Orein arrived they gave him antivenom.

After a night in the hospital, he was sent home but is still experiencing leg pain and fatigue.