Kaine vs. Pence: The most memorable lines
The second fiddles are taking center stage Tuesday in the first and only vice presidential debate of 2016.
What had been billed as potential snoozefest kicked off with some sharp exchanges, as Republican Indiana Gov. Mike Pence and Democratic Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine dug in to defend their candidates.
Here are Pence and Kaine’s most memorable one-liners:
Sen. Tim Kaine, Democrat
- “The thought of Donald Trump as commander in chief scares us to death.”
- “You are Donald Trump’s apprentice.”
- “I cannot believe that Gov. Pence will defend the insult-driven campaign that Donald Trump has run.”
- “Donald Trump can’t start a Twitter war with Miss Universe without shooting himself in the foot.”
- “Hillary and I want to do enforcement based on: Are people dangerous? These guys say all Mexicans are bad.”
Gov. Mike Pence, Republican
- “Senator, you and Hillary Clinton would know a lot about an insult-driven campaign.”
- “(Donald Trump) used the tax code just the way it’s supposed to be used, and he did it brilliantly.”
- “We’re going to be in a mountain range of debt (if Clinton wins).”
- “Let me say, at the risk of agreeing with you, that community policing is a great idea.”
- “Senator, I’ll work with you when you go back to the Senate, I promise you, we’ll work with you to reform the immigration system.”