Next chance of rain expected in several days
Watch KFOR Live Interactive Radar

Oklahoma man severely burned after lawnmower explodes

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CACHE, Okla. – An Oklahoma man is recovering from severe burns after his lawnmower exploded over the weekend.

Jeremy Welborn, of Cache, was mowing his lawn over the weekend when he stopped his mower near his house to refill the gas tank, KSWO reports.

The gasoline reportedly overflowed onto the exhaust pipe and exploded.

The fire quickly spread to a nearby car and then to Welborn’s home.

According to KSWO, the fire burned for several hours, destroying much of the home’s attic and garage.

“It was such a very large structure, so many areas for that fire to go and with the fire moving as fast as it did with the fuels it had in the garage area, we really thought we had a battle on our hands,” Cache Fire Chief Dale Winham said.  “And we did, I didn’t know if we were going to be able to save this thing or not.”

Despite suffering burns all over his lower-body, Welborn tried to stop the fire.

As soon as paramedics arrived and realized how bad the man’s injuries were, he was flown to a burn center in Oklahoma City.

Welborn is still waiting to see if he will need a skin graft.

Welborn said he is happy to be alive.

“I didn’t lose my life, the things could have been far worse in regards to my body and the burns I did receive. It could have been worse in regards to the loss of the entire house,” Welborn said. “But my family was OK, they were able to get our animals out of the house, our pets out of the house. All of our lives were spared.”

Welborn told KSWO that while he has never had any problems in the past filling up his gas tank when mowing, he will wait for the mower to cool down in the future before adding gasoline.

A GoFundMe page has been set up to help the Welborn family with medical expenses and home repairs.