Firefighters extinguish blaze at apartment complex in N.E. Oklahoma City

Generic fire truck photo

OKLAHOMA CITY – Firefighters extinguished a blaze at an apartment in northeast Oklahoma City Tuesday afternoon.

Initial reports indicate an apartment at the Wilshire Apartments, near Wilshire and Kelley, caught fire around 1:50 p.m.

Fire crews arrived to the scene and extinguished the fire very quickly, officials say.

Investigators learned the fire started while an occupant was cooking.

The occupant in the original fire unit and nearby occupants evacuated before firefighters arrived.

Fire officials say the kitchen sustained extensive damage.

Fortunately, no other units were damaged and no one was injured.

The fire caused about $20,000 in damage, fire crews say.